Ruth Plummer - Court Reporter, Criminal Court No. 2

For Viewing Only
Forum rules
Since some of the different parts of the trial transcript are extremely large, posting has been disabled in them. Use the Baniszewski Trial Discussions for postable topics.

Posts: 139  Images: 550  Joined: August 8th, 2010, 7:35 am

Ruth Plummer - Court Reporter, Criminal Court No. 2

Postby admin » October 31st, 2010, 5:10 pm

THE COURT: Defendants?

MR. ERBECKER: The defendant has one witness. The defendant is going to - it will be rather difficult.

THE COURT: Who is your witness?

MR. ERBECKER: The court reporter.

WITNESS SWORN BY THE COURT.

RUTH PLUMMER , a witness called on behalf of the defendant Gertrude Baniszewski,
being duly sworn by the court, testified as follows:

DIRECT EXAMINATION,
QUESTIONS BY MR. WILLIAM ERBECKER, ATTORNEY FOR DEFENDANT,
GERTRUDE BANISZEWSKI

Q. State your name, please.

A. Ruth Plummer.

Q. What is your business or occupation?

A. Court Reporter, Criminal Court No. 2.

Q. The court you are in right now. Directing your attention to March 16, 1966, were you the Official Court Reporter of this court?

A. Yes, sir.

Q. Did you transcribe, take down and report some testimony in this cause, being Cause No. Cr. 65-1406?

A. I did.

Q. On that date did you transcribe, take down, record testimony of Dr. Ronald Hull?

A. Yes, sir.

Q. I hand you Defendant's Exhibit "N" and ask you if your name appears on the last page thereof?

A. Yes, sir.

Q. I hand you State's Exhibit No. "N" and ask you if that is a copy of an official transcript of the proceedings in this court on March 16, 1966 in this cause?

A. It is the original. It is not a copy.

Q. Do you wish to check the pages to ascertain whether or not there has been any alteration, additions, erasures, enlargements or any change?

A. I would have to check with my carbon copy to tell that.

Q. Can you make a cursory examination to see if the pages are in numerical order?

A. They are.

Q. It is a true and complete record, is it?

A. Yes, sir.

Q. Other than a V mark on the margin, this is the same condition as it was when you gave it to me, with the exception of the exhibit mark you make on it?

A. That is right.

MR. ERBECKER: The defendant now offers in evidence Defendant's Exhibit No. "N".

MR. NEW: I would like to ask a preliminary question for the purpose of making an objection.

PRELIMINARY QUESTIONS,
BY MR. LEROY NEW,
DEPUTY PROSECUTOR

Q. Does Defendant's Exhibit No. "N" contain the testimony of Dr. Hull and Schuster, who were the same doctors who testified here before this court this morning?

A. Yes, sir.

MR. NEW: We will object to the defendant's tendered Exhibit "N".

THE COURT: Objection sustained.

MR. ERBECKER: Nothing further.

WITNESS EXCUSED.

THE COURT: Any other witness?

MR. ERBECKER: No, sir.

THE COURT: Does the defendant Paula Marie Baniszewski have any evidence?

MR. RICE: Nothing further.

THE COURT: John Stephan Baniszewski and Coy Hubbard have anything to present?

MR. BOWMAN: Not a thing, Your Honor.

AND THAT WAS ALL THE EVIDENCE PRESENTED IN THIS TRIAL.

THE COURT: Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury and Alternate Jurors, a recess is necessary at this time. It is going to be such a lengthy recess you are excused till tomorrow morning at 9:30. You will report to the jury room tomorrow morning at 9:30. By agreement of counsel and with the consent of the defendants and the State, given in open court, the jury is permitted to separate. Don't talk among yourselves and don't let anyone talk to you about this case or any subject connected therewith. Don't form or express any opinion on the case till it is finally submitted to you. Do not read any newspaper articles or any articles that may appear about this case. Don't watch anything or listen to anything that may be broadcast about the case. Court will remain in session. Jury and Alternate Jurors are excused until 9:30 tomorrow morning.

JURY EXCUSED.
e-mail: webmaster@sylvialikens.com

Return to Baniszewski Trial Transcript