Coy Hubbard

Main Posting Area
Forum rules
Please be kind and respectful to one another, the memory of Sylvia, and her family.
We know that what happened to Sylvia can stir up peoples emotions, but please try to refrain from using foul language. Young people do read these forums.
DLW

Heart of Hope

Topics: 1  Posts: 2  Joined: Mar 12, 2013

Coy Hubbard

Postby DLW » March 12th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Why didnt he stay in jail? Why was he able to have a life when he was involved in taking a life?! I read his obit and he was able to get married and have kids and grand kids. I was able to find some of his family members on Facebook. Do they know what he did? This case is so upsetting.

Topics: 48  Posts: 1590  Images: 0  Joined: Jan 02, 2013

Re: Coy Hubbard

Postby adultromance27 » March 13th, 2013, 9:41 am

I often wonder that myself. Coy was convicted of Manslaughter, which means that if he didn't get out on good behavior, he would've served up to 21 years. I don't know if manslaughter convicts serve more years than that nowadays, but since he was on his best behavior, he served up to 2 years of that sentence. I agree that he should've been in jail for his full term, even if it wasn't a life sentence. If anyone deserved to be in jail for his full term, he certainly did. I think the reason they allow people to get out on good behavior is because there are so many convicts in the world and they need room for more people. Gertrude especially deserved to serve her life sentence and I can't believe that they actually let her out.
http://forsylvialikensx.forumotion.com/

^^^ A forum about Sylvia, created by Broommy

Topics: 8  Posts: 187  Images: 1  Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Postby Fade to Black » March 13th, 2013, 7:19 pm

I heard Coy got alot of hate by people when they started making An American Crime since he quit his job due to the attention his was getting.

Postby adultromance27 » March 13th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Fade to Black wrote:I heard Coy got alot of hate by people when they started making An American Crime since he quit his job due to the attention his was getting.

I thought he got fired from that job. That's what I've read. He did get a lot of attention from that movie and his boss found out who he was and fired him. I read that, but I wish I knew for sure.

Topics: 20  Posts: 185  Joined: Feb 18, 2013

Postby DianaIsabel » March 13th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I heard that people were "making his life hell", but he totally deserved it. He and many others put Sylvia beyond hell, so he got some karma.
"It's when things seem worse that you must not quit."

Postby Fade to Black » March 13th, 2013, 9:35 pm

adultromance27 wrote:
Fade to Black wrote:I heard Coy got alot of hate by people when they started making An American Crime since he quit his job due to the attention his was getting.

I thought he got fired from that job. That's what I've read. He did get a lot of attention from that movie and his boss found out who he was and fired him. I read that, but I wish I knew for sure.

I cant remember exactly where it was i read this but someone who worked with Coy said he quit his job so the company wouldnt get negative attention, however a couple of other people who worked with him said he got fired which is probably (and i hope) more accurate.
I know ive said this before before but Coy was of the worst up there with Paula and Gertrude, he was a no good torturing piece of Sh*t who also happily bragged about his involvement, im so glad his dead.

Postby adultromance27 » March 13th, 2013, 9:50 pm

For someone to brag about their involvement in murder shows how despicable and disgusting they are.

Topics: 1  Posts: 4  Joined: Mar 13, 2013

Postby Anita M. Ayers » March 14th, 2013, 7:29 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome. In answer to the question from FTB I may have met Sylvia. I was only 7 years old when she died. If she was around she did not stand out to me. Someone said that she did babysit for us a few years before she died. My oldest brother Mike was a friend of Coy Hubbard. Coy went to prison for the part he played in the crime. The man who was our Pastor at that time, Pastor Louis Gibson from Charity Tabernacle on S. Tibbs Ave preached her funeral. Pastor's Hazel and Louis Gibson were close friends of my mother and my maternal Grandparents. My mother is now deceased but I'm going to ask my biological father if he remembers anything about it. Found this on Wikipedia:
Coy Hubbard, Stephanie Baniszewski’s boyfriend who beat Sylvia and practiced his judo flips on her, had been in and out of prison since his release and was later charged and acquitted of the murder of two men. He died of a heart attack on June 23, 2007, at the age of 56 in Shelbyville, Indiana. He had a wife and five children, seventeen grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Postby Fade to Black » March 14th, 2013, 11:30 am

Thank you for responding Anita, interesting that Sylvia may have babysat you. What did your brother make of Coy Hubbard? I imagine he was shocked that Coy was involved in such a brutal crime.

Postby adultromance27 » March 14th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Coy Hubbard was a bully. He reminds me of Jock bullies that I've seen on tv. I don't know if jocks really are bullies because I've never seen any jock bullies when I was in school, but the entertainment industry makes them out to be bullies.

Topics: 45  Posts: 612  Joined: Aug 28, 2010

Postby broommy » March 14th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Coy Hubbard was fired when AAC came out. Ellen Page and his daughter both confirmed this. What I will never understand for the life of me, is why he did not change his name and move. This will never make sense to me. He did not even try to protect his children. It is not like I want him to get off scott free, but I do feel bad for some of his children.
I did a ton of research on this case for my page, and I was very surprised at the lack of evidence against Coy and his crimes as far as Sylvia was concerned. I don't want everyone to freak out on me, but I wonder if he was not as guilty as people perceive him to be. It is just a thought. Does anyone have an opinion, or would someone like to point out somethings I may have missed.
"I cant hear a word these people are saying cause the voice of Sylvia Likens cries out to both god and man."

Topics: 20  Posts: 185  Joined: Feb 18, 2013

Postby DianaIsabel » March 14th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I haven't done too much research on Coy's involvement in the case, but based on what I've read about him, I say he is guilty. I've heard about him practicing his judo flips on Sylvia, which would make him guilty. I don't know about everyone else, but sometmes I feel like there are some events in the abuse that we will never know if they really happened. I feel like the Baniszewskis must've made up some stuff to make themselves look innocent. All I can say about this is that based on my own research, Coy is as guilty as the rest of them.
"It's when things seem worse that you must not quit."

DLW

Heart of Hope

Topics: 1  Posts: 2  Joined: Mar 12, 2013

Postby DLW » March 15th, 2013, 2:15 am

That's what I think too! He should have stayed locked up!! Yes I also agree why didn't he change his name and move out of state?!

Postby adultromance27 » March 15th, 2013, 10:38 am

I agree. I can't understand it either.

Topics: 45  Posts: 612  Joined: Aug 28, 2010

Postby broommy » March 15th, 2013, 10:25 pm

DianaIsabel wrote:I haven't done too much research on Coy's involvement in the case, but based on what I've read about him, I say he is guilty. I've heard about him practicing his judo flips on Sylvia, which would make him guilty. I don't know about everyone else, but sometmes I feel like there are some events in the abuse that we will never know if they really happened. I feel like the Baniszewskis must've made up some stuff to make themselves look innocent. All I can say about this is that based on my own research, Coy is as guilty as the rest of them.

He is most certainly guilty, but I don't think he did all the things people accuse him of. The ban fans will stick up for every single person in this case but coy and hobbs. Those two are the most detestable in the situation, but I am starting to believe that Coy did less than Gertrude, Paula, Stephanie, and John. I wonder why they get most of the hate. I think it is because they were the oldest males in this situation.
"I cant hear a word these people are saying cause the voice of Sylvia Likens cries out to both god and man."

Topics: 30  Posts: 861  Images: 4  Joined: Sep 03, 2010

Postby Cathy » March 16th, 2013, 2:00 am

I think Coy Hubbard is guilty as charged and convicted. Supposedly, he and Stephanie were boyfriend and girlfriend. What did they really do besides just hang around the Baniszewski house? Did they actually do anything as boyfriend and girlfriend? It sure doesn't seem like it. What kind of boyfriend wants to hang around your house with your younger siblings hanging around and your mother? Only someone who can get away with what he can't usually get away with anywhere else. And he did hit Sylvia with the broomstick that knocked her out and may have caused the bleeding in her brain. He didn't have a good reputation with his peers at school. And someone said he laughed about Sylvia and his involvement years after when it was brought up. Sylvia died from a lot abuse, yes, a lot of it from Gertrude, but they were all involved. Every single one of them.
"Never underestimate the power of human denial."

Postby adultromance27 » March 16th, 2013, 11:35 am

The fact that he helped hurt Sylvia makes me mad, but then he goes and brags about his involvement, proving that he wasn't sorry for his actions. That is a truly disgusting man and I'm glad that I never knew him.

Postby Fade to Black » March 20th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I wouldnt be suprised if Coy did deliver the fatal blow. From Jenny: "Coy Hubbard did a lot of the beating and that Paula Baniszewski did the most damage"
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=17&image_id=649&sk=t&sd=d&st=0

Although everyone involved in her torture is pretty much guilty of her death.

Topics: 17  Posts: 129  Joined: Oct 21, 2012

Postby SSLeviathan » March 26th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Sounds like without Gertrude Baniszewski being involved, Coy Hubbard would of tortured Sylvia Likens.

Topics: 1  Posts: 4  Joined: Mar 13, 2013

Postby Anita M. Ayers » March 27th, 2013, 10:48 am

I remember Coy Hubbard coming to our house one time in Greenwood after he got out of jail. He was quiet and very reserved. He was not chemically impaired in any way. He came to see my brother Mike and I think it was right after he got out of jail. After he left Mike talked about him having so many enemies and how his life was in ruin. I just vaguely remember him saying that Coy felt terrible about his part in Sylvia's death and that he did not do all they accused him of. He said that it was Gertrude Baniszewski who pressured them to do what they did to Sylvia. Mike's girlfriend Karen (at the time who later became his wife) said Coy was a messed up human being.

Topics: 18  Posts: 238  Images: 21  Joined: Oct 13, 2012

Postby vancer32 » March 27th, 2013, 11:26 am

Anita M. Ayers wrote:I remember Coy Hubbard coming to our house one time in Greenwood after he got out of jail. He was quiet and very reserved. He was not chemically impaired in any way. He came to see my brother Mike and I think it was right after he got out of jail. After he left Mike talked about him having so many enemies and how his life was in ruin. I just vaguely remember him saying that Coy felt terrible about his part in Sylvia's death and that he did not do all they accused him of. He said that it was Gertrude Baniszewski who pressured them to do what they did to Sylvia. Mike's girlfriend Karen (at the time who later became his wife) said Coy was a messed up human being.

This is a great insight you shared to us.

Topics: 71  Posts: 1024  Images: 244  Joined: Mar 06, 2011
Gender: Gentleman  Age: 55  Country: United States (us)  Location: indianapois ind.

Postby mrdg1 » March 28th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Thanks again for sharing your story Anita. from what I've read over the years, coy hubbard has lost more than a few jobs once his idenity was discovered. why hubbard and hobbs didn't have their names changed is beyond me.I'm surprised he even stayed in the Indlps. area after being released from prison.I have no sympathy for coy hubbard because of his brutal part in this crime.I do have sympathy for his family and children.coy hubbard should have followed John Ban. Jr.'s lead and made a public statement of remorse and acceptance for his part in this crime.

Postby adultromance27 » March 28th, 2013, 9:09 pm

mrdg1 wrote:Thanks again for sharing your story Anita. from what I've read over the years, coy hubbard has lost more than a few jobs once his idenity was discovered. why hubbard and hobbs didn't have their names changed is beyond me.I'm surprised he even stayed in the Indlps. area after being released from prison.I have no sympathy for coy hubbard because of his brutal part in this crime.I do have sympathy for his family and children.coy hubbard should have followed John Ban. Jr.'s lead and made a public statement of remorse and acceptance for his part in this crime.

I couldn't agree more. Coy was a sorry excuse for a human being.

Topics: 17  Posts: 225  Joined: Mar 12, 2013
Gender: Lady  Age: 30  Country: United States (us)  Location: 4th City For Highest Bedbug Infestation

Postby Rika » March 29th, 2013, 5:27 am

Thanks for sharing that, Anita.

DLW wrote:That's what I think too! He should have stayed locked up!! Yes I also agree why didn't he change his name and move out of state?!

I'm glad he didn't, so people could know who he was. I mean, look at Paula! She gets found out YEARS after she changed her name and moved away. Nobody knew who they were dealing with. :shock:
"Yes. But it's (humanity) yours to find. No one can take that away from you; not one man, not a hundred." ICE Agent Morozov to Helena, Human Trafficking

Postby Fade to Black » April 29th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Next

Return to Sylvia Likens